Corsa Spyder!
This kit car, from England, known as a
Corsa Spyder, also known as a Fiorano
Type 48, is based, appearance wise,
on a Ferrari Tipo 166. It is designed to
be used on Triumph Spitfire or GT6
chassis and drive train. This particular
car is on a custom chassis with
Triumph Herald front suspension and
Alfa Alfetta rear suspension and a
Triumph GT6 engine and transmission
(with electronic Overdrive).


It came to us because of a cooling
problem and some pretty severe rod
knock coming from the engine after an
overheating adventure. It was also
burning a lot of oil. So much that I think
we took care of some of the local
mosquito issues.
The nose piece had not originally arrived with
the rest of the car. Here it what it looks like
installed.

Below: You can see here just how busy this
engine bay is with the In-line Triumph six
cylinder engine.
Before the engine can be rebuilt, it has to be removed from
the car. This is easier said than done as it appears that the
body was placed onto the frame after the drive train was
installed. Below are some of the photos of the extraction.
Click on each photo to see it larger...
The engine wasn't the only
piece that had to be removed.
The transmission had to be
separated from the engine for
the engine to drop out of the
bottom of the chassis. The
seats had to be removed in
order to remove the
transmission. Luckily, there
really isn't much to the interior
to this car. Finally, we were
able to lower the engine out
of the car.
We actually discovered some fairly extensive
damage to this engine before we removed it.
See below for information on what will be
replacing the 2.0 I-6 engine that we pulled
out of this very unique car.

While the engine is out at the machine shop,
we took some time to mock up a TR6
radiator in the nose cone of the car. We were
not sure if it would even fit. Not only does it fit,
and fit well after a little fabrication but there
might also be room to fit a 16" Spal fan on
the backside as a puller.
The damage to the 2.0 litre engine that was in this car when it came in was much more extensive
than first thought. The scoring on the cylinder walls  (remember the mosquito killing comment?)
was so deep that an over bore was not economically feasible. A new donor engine would need to
be sourced and built for this application.

As it was already set up for a 2.0 litre I-6 Triumph engine, our first thought was to fit another one.
The problem came when trying to quickly and inexpensively source a triumph I-6 2.0 litre engine.
In the United States, this engine was primarily used in the GT6 which did not see very high
production numbers. Examples of the Triumph 2000 Saloon are even fewer over here. So instead
of trying to find a GT6 engine we succumbed to the American Hot Rodder in our psyche and opted
for the larger displacement brother of the GT6 Engine, a 2.5 litre TR6 engine.

The TR6 engine is, in simple terms, a "stroked" GT6 engine. As they are both from the same
family, many parts are identical, or near enough for our purposes, which will allow the fairly easy
fitting of the 2.5 litre engine into where the 2.0 litre was previously located.
The bare block of the 2.5 litre Triumph I-6,
back from the machine shop and ready for
building.
The underside of the block, clean and ready
for the crankshaft and connecting rods.
The crankshaft and the cylinder head still
waiting patiently in their bags.
Fitting the piston rings and assembling the
piston heads to the connecting rods.
The connecting rods, assembled with the
piston heads awaiting installation into the
block.
The crankshaft, back in the block awaiting the
installation of main caps and thrust washers.
Pistons and connecting rods all at home in
the block.
Engine Build up...                                                     
The engine build continues on Page Two...
The removal and tear down of the knackered
engine...